May 22 is the World’s Obesity Day. The number of obesity is increasing gradually both in the world and in our country. Based on the data of the World Health Organization, the number of the obese people raised to 700 million in 2015 while it was 400 million in 2008, and the number of overweighed people raised from 1.4 billion to 2.3 billion. In Turkey, the obesity increase was reached to 34 percent in females and 107 percent in males within only 12 years. Dietician Serap Güzel, Liv Hospital’s Nutrition and Diet Expert, says that “Obesity has many reasons. Metabolic diseases, genetic predisposition, sleep disorders, drug use, sedentary lifestyles, poor nutrition, excess food consumption, etc. But, whatever the reason is, we have to fight obesity. Because obesity is one of the reasons of many diseases or it accelerates the progression of diseases. It both affects the health and leads burden on the entire world in healthcare expenses. Most importantly, it reduces the person’s quality of life”.
First of all, try to find out and solve the problems
If you know the truths on the matter of nutrition but you don’t apply them, you have to find out the reasons behind it. Emotions will affect the life as well as nutrition. Unsolved problems may impact the eating behavior in negative manner; thus, if you have somethings going bad in your life than you have to start the work by found out and solve it. Eating disorder is a disease and it should be solved with the help of a psychologist or psychiatrist.
Measure your waist circumference
Fat accumulation of the waist circumference is one of the indicators of obesity. Waist circumference should not be exceed 94 cm in males and 80 cm in females. 94-101 in males indicates an increased risk, over 102 cm is a high risk, and in females, 80-87 cm is increased risk and over 88 is a high risk. This risk leads to many diseases mainly cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, hypertension, hepatosteatosis, and joint diseases.
5 important stages of getting rid of obesity
• Eat in regular meals and do breakfast: Studies suggest that those persons doing regular breakfast and do not skip meals are slimmer.
• Make lifelong sports: Not just to lose weight, you must be active in every period of your life; preserving your weight is an energy calculation.
• Eat plenty of vegetables and grain foods: Consuming excessive protein and fat increases the fat ratio of the body and impacts your cardiovascular health in negative manner.
• Stay away from simple sugar: Desserts, beverages and cola drinks you take sugar from them will not give any benefit. Simple sugar even leads you to be a diabetic patient besides obesity.
• Stay away from stressed life: Staying away from stress can be difficult but you have to find ways to reduce it. Even finding hobbies that you enjoy out of the daily regular life will be helping you to let you go.